So, who scored big and who lost big (if that’s the best way to put it) at Anime Expo?
Well, it looks like the convention itself scored big once again with 43,000 paid attendees, which is up from 41,500 last year, a 3.6% increase.
Now, here is the licensing round-up from the convention:
While none of this technically took place at Anime Expo, obviously the big loser of the weekend was ADV Films who had Sojitz leaving their agreement with ADV, taking 32 anime licenses with them. ADV said they had a new partner in Japan and were negotiating to get 23 new licenses, but nothing new was announced at AX.
Bandai Enterainment announced that they have licensed the Hayate the Combat Butler anime and the Girl Who Leapt Through Time manga.
Bandai also announced the dub cast for Gurren Lagann, as well as announced details regarding their new Honneamise label, which is where most of Bandai Visual’s titles are going.
Dark Horse announced the license for the Neon Genesis Evangelion: The Shinji Ikari Raising Project manga by Osamu Takahashi.
Digital Manga picked up more titles than God at AX, including:
- Utahime – Princess Song by Aki
- Overclock: Once in a Blue Moon by Riya Hozumi and Ryouko Seki
- Ghost Hunt Scramble by Ototachibana
- Tale of a White Night by Tooko Miyagi
- 1 Sakura Hill by Fujiko Kosumi
- Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS by Maki Tsuzuki and Kōji Hasegawa
- RH Plus by Ayako Suwa
- Time for Magic by Morehe Yoshida
- Princess Princess+ By Mikiyo Tsuda
- Happy Boys By Makoto Tateno
- Wolf God by Ai Tenkawa
- Otodama By Youka Nitta
- Crimson Cross By Kyoko Negishi and Sakae Maeda
- Millennium Prime Minister By Eiki Eiki
- Hey Class President by Kaori Monchi
- Dog x Cat by Yoshimi Amasaki
- Desire-Dangerous Feelings by Shinobu Gotoh
- Moonlit Promises by Souya Himawari
- Tricky Prince by Yukari Hashida
- Double Trouble by Takashi Kanzaki
- Where has Love Gone? by Ryou Tsunoda
- Then Comes Love by Riyu Yamakami
- Pure Heart by Hyouta Fujiyama
- The Way to Heaven by Yamimaru Enjin
- Clan of the Nakagamis Volume 2 by Homerun Ken
- The Object of my Affection by Nanao Okuda
- Love/Knot by Hiroko Ishimaru
- The Longest Time by Tohko Tateno
- Live for Love by Jun Mayama and Itsuki Sato
- Eat or Be Eaten by Jinko Fuyuno and Yamimaru Enjin
- The Spiral of Sand by Yuna Aoi
- Honey/Chocolate by Nanao Okuda
- Manhatten Love Story by Monoko Tenzen
- Planet of Earthquake by Miou Takaya
- Cut by Toko Kawai
- The Lonely Egoist by Hikaru Masaki and Masara Minase
- When the Heavens Smile by Aki Senoo
- Suggestive Eyes by Momoko Tenzen
- Hey, Sensei by Yaya Sakuragi
- Love Syndrome by Yura Miyazawa
- Love Potion by Sakuya Fujii
If ADV was the big loser this weekend, then Funimation was the big winner. Again, while none of this technically was announced at Anime Expo itself, Funimation both picked up the right to distribute 18 Geneon titles, as well as picking up the rights to the 32 Sojitz titles that used to belong to ADV, giving then the rights to distribute 50 new anime titles, some of which hadn’t been complted or even started yet.
Out of the Sojitz announcement came the news that the OVA Murder Princess has been licensed.
Funimation also announced the dub cast for Ouran High School Host Club.
Go! Comi licensed:
- Angel’s Coffin By You Higuri
- CROWN By You Higuri and Shinji Wada
- Bound Beauty By Mick Takeuchi
CMX licensed The Name of the Flower by Ken Saito
Kadokawa Pictures USA
Kadokawa announced licenses for:
- Coo ~ Our Guardian
- H2O ~Footprints in the Sand~
- Junjou Romantica
- My Heartfelt Sympathy, Ninomiya-kun
- Rental Magica
- Spice and Wolf
Right Stuf International announced new licenses for the Gakuen Alice anime series as well as DVD rights 1980 Toward the Terra movie (they had originally released it on VHS and Laserdisc).
TokyoPop announced the following new licenses, among other things:
- Phantom Dream By Natsuki Takaya
- Tsubasa: Those with Wings By Natsuki Takaya
- .hack//G.U. (novel) By Tatsuya Hamasaki
- Peacemaker Kurogane (formerly released by ADV Manga) By Nanae Chrono
- Momo Tama By Nanae Chrono
- Castle of Dreams By Masami Tsuda
- NG Life by Mizuho Kusanagi
- This Ugly Yet Beautiful World By Ashita Morimi
- Maid-sama! by Hiro Fujiwara
- Demon Sacred by Natsumi Itsuki
Viz announced new licenses for:
- Honey Hunt by Miki Aihara
- Gestalt by Yun Kouga
- Magic Touch by Izumi Tsubaki
- Otomen by Aya Kanno