So we learn about Niche’s background: that she was born 200 years ago, after a pregnant woman drank from the holy lake of the Maka and…has a twin. As the twin daughter of the woman who drank the holy water, the residents of Blue Notes Blues consider her to be cursed, which is why she warned Lag not to tell the townspeople about her (though based on their description of the twins, it didn’t take the Mayor long to figure out what Niche was)
Naturally, the citizens of the town had the story of what happened completely wrong after hearing the story from Niche’s very grown up sister. She also revealed an interesting tidbit about Spirit Amber being mined quietly from the land, which caused it to become cold, and not the Maka’s disfavor (as the Maka never really cared about humans in the first place).
Unfortunately, Niche’s sister didn’t really finish her story in this episode, so we’ll have to wait until next week. However, we have several mysteries:
1) who mined the spirit amber?
2) why did it remove the geothermal energy from the land, and did those who mined it know it would have that effect?
3) why didn’t Niche grow like her sister?
4) why can’t the Maka converse with humans anymore?
5) why are the Gaichuu frozen in the cave, and why did Noir/Gauche go there to get one?
6) why were the children born half Maka? was that the price for letting the woman live until her twins were born?
7) why didn’t either the Maka nor Niche’s sister sense Lag as a human? (which just adds to the mystery of why he has a spirit amber as one eye that was already there)
I was wrong about Niche being a byproduct of the experimentation that Reverse says the government is doing, but is it possible that Lag is a result of said experimentation? His mother was kidnapped to the capital after all. This episode just made this show jump over Yosuga no Sora for 3rd and it might challenge Index II for second best that I’m watching if the next episode is as enlightening as this one is. A lot of questions answered, but just as many new ones created.