Well, I had a nice adventure over the weekend with my blog being suspended by my host because it was apparently sucking up the server’s CPU cycles. I did some reading and saw that WordPress was generally seen as a resource hog. That at the fact that I couldn’t find any real evidence that my site had been tampered with made me wonder if my blog was just pulling too much processor time on my host’s server.
So, I went and implemented several things which will hopefully help this site out. The first was implementing WP-Super Cache as well as a complementary caching plugin that caches my sidebar widgets (since they use quite a bit of php to cycle through things to create the dropdowns). Next, as you might have seen, I cut down the number of posts per page from 10 to 5. Maybe that will make the page more manageable too.
I also eliminated a few things on the administrative side such as a couple of plugins that were doing things like creating huge database tables (and that i wasn’t getting much use out of) and turn off post revisions, which I’ve used maybe twice ever.
I’ll probably get in touch with my host before the end of the week to see if these changes are making a noticeable difference. If not, well, I guess I’ll have to find another resolution then, depending on how much information they can give me on what’s causing the problem. I just put down a non-insignificant amount of money to extend my hosting for 2 more years only a couple months ago, so I don’t exactly want that to go to waste, and I don’t have the money to upgrade to any sort of semi-shared or dedicated server.
After all of this, hopefully the site will load faster, anyway, with the caching. My YSlow score did improve from an E to a C after all the things I did (and most of the rest of the things it’s complaining about, I can’t do a heck of a lot about).